The Senior Project Manager (SPM) is responsible for project management throughout the entire product life cycle (from pre-acquisition through final equipment acceptance); Providing customer acquisition support for new projects; Leading project-related communications and taking full project management ownership of related activities performed by multi-disciplined cross functional teams.
A “senior” designation denotes a more experienced PM responsible for managing a large-scale project of significant complexity, impact on future business, or significant global coordination.
Primary objectives are to manage timing, quality, and financial results of projects from start to finish, to enthuse the customer with the performance of the product and the services provided, and to deliver business results that meet or exceed companys’ expectations for awarded projects.
Requires a motivated, decisive individual with the ability to work within the constraints of scope, time and cost with minimal supervision. The ideal candidate can work well in a project team and can communicate technically with other team members. In addition, the following abilities are desired:
• Ability to take “ownership” of assignments and make critical project related decisions.
• Able to manage projects and work in a fast-paced environment with aggressive schedules and deadlines.
• Able to work collaboratively with employees of all levels within the organization.
• The ability to work effectively in a team-based environment is a necessity.
• Capable of planning and managing numerous channels of communication.
• Strong financial accounting/budgeting/estimating skills.
• Available to travel domestically and internationally.
• Professional interpersonal skills (oral & written communication and persuasion skills) to build internal and external relationships. Actively listens, probes and identifies concerns. Understands our core customers’ businesses and speaks their language; develops credibility, loyalty, trust and commitment.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Lead and manage the project team with the responsibility to successfully execute the project from initiating phase to closing phase.
• Provide strategic thinking, planning, risk assessment and prioritization of project activities in order to achieve the project objectives.
• Develop, maintain, and control a detailed project schedule including defining major milestones and identification of critical path.
• Responsible for project contract, scope and budget management.
• Coordinate and track the development of design and engineering through manpower schedules and spreadsheets.
• Conduct regular project meetings with the project team throughout the project lifecycle.
• Conduct regular project design and engineering review meetings with the customer and record and distribute the information to the project team.
• Oversee the requisition of materials, purchase orders, and shipping/logistics as required per project.
• Foster customer relationships and work collaboratively with all internal and external groups to effectively and efficiently meet the customer’s needs.
• Reporting project performance & financial status to upper management.
Assets for the Position:
For a candidate to be effective and successful in this demanding position, they should be able to demonstrate strong virtues and characteristics such as the following:
• Business Acumen: Able to focus on delivering services in a way that enhances / maximizes profitability; ensure that team delivers service in a way that brings out the organization's value and competitive advantage; manage against a budget; educate team on important developments within the organization; discuss relevant industry developments with team.
• Entrepreneurial Drive for Results: The ability to find creative solutions and generate results in a dynamic market environment. Need to have a strong sense of urgency and the ability to infuse that in others. Tireless work ethic is a given.
• Influencing & Communication Skills: Keen listening, open-mindedness, and strong interpersonal skills so that necessary alliances with internal & external groups can be forged and developed quickly. Comfortable communicating both formally and informally with senior executives and communicate openly and equitably with peers & subordinates throughout company & customer organizations.
• Technical / Functional Understanding: Able to serve as a source of technical / functional issues & perspective to others; demonstrate a breadth of technical/functional knowledge outside of core specialty; provide others with opportunities for technical growth; develop the technical competence of others as a way to achieve results; hold people accountable for technical excellence.
• Combined 10+ years of project management and/or comparable management experience along with a verifiable record of results in both disciplines.
• ABET Accredited Bachelor's degree in Engineering OR Bachelor's Degree in Business
• Strong technical background that should include knowledge of industrial capital equipment & components and a good understanding of cross-functional responsibilities is required.
• Experience with international projects including complex banking instruments and Incoterms.
• Commercial contract knowledge and experience
• PMP certification is a plus.
• Extensive experience and high proficiency in PC skills utilizing Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project.
• Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
25-35% Travel required typically for a week at a time to customer offices or production locations, companys’ production locations, etc...